Maybe I’m crazy? I’m mashing in 6kg malts with 170gr Aurora hops for 75 minutes. Then after Mash out and sparging I will add 50 gr Amarillo, 50 gr Cascade and 50 gr Belma hops, keep the temperature for 20 minutes at 75C. No boiling, but it should be pasteurised.
Vol 22 Liters OG 1057 FG 1015 (Estimated) IBU 43 (Theoretically according Beersmith) ABV 5.5% (Estimated)
This is the first time I’m water adjusting the beer. To get really hoppy and crisp beers I realized I need to adjust the water. The water I have is pretty good so it was no big problem, it’s actually really good for dark beers because the PH 8.5 is quite high. But I never got a hoppy beer as crisp and hoppy as I wanted. I hope the water adjustment will make the beer a lot better.
But being me I just had to make it even more complicated, it’s Gung-ho style whenever I brew. There is a twist. I wanted the beer to be really red so I added beetroot, I see it got pretty much calcium and magnesium in it so it must be good for the hops. I’ll boil it with the brew for 20 minutes, I don’t think it will add much taste, or it might add some interesting notes to it. But it doesn’t look like it added any more colour.
I’m mashing in at 62C for 15 minutes, then decoct and step up to 71C for 45 minutes, so it should be medium well done body. While mashing in I’m drinking the #56 Voodoo Juice, this one turned out extremely well I don’t think it will last to August. It’s the perfect Witbier, much better than Hoegarden or any other one I had.
For the hops I will use Belma for bittering and taste, and Centennial for aroma, maybe I’ll dry hop it also?
Edit 2013-05-29: Second fermentation time. Good or bad idea, I don’t know but I think it was good. At least I can’t see anything wrong. I need more uRination Ale, it might be a warm summer and I’m out of it. So this is what I did… After the yeast cake and stuff I got 15 liters, so I put 10 liters in one vessel. The OG was 1078 and the FG was 1015 ( a little lower than expected), estimated 8.2% ABV.
Here’s what I did with the remaining 5 Liters. I added 5 liters of water. After my calculations the ABV will be around 3.5%ABV and 60 IBU. That’s an uRination Ale by my standards. If I dry hop it I think it will be good, and I need a low ABV beer for the summer anyway. If this works out well I will do this more often.
I’m live blogging, continuously updating pictures below.
The first three pictures is Soba-cha (Japanese tea made out of roasted buckwheat). I first made the tea, and then poured everything into the mash. I only use pale ale malt and 4% caramel malt, mashed in at 65C. I’m using huge amounts of Chinook and Galaxy hops, this is going to be an Imperial one around 10% ABV and 100 IBU.
It’s a waste to not use the rest of the malts, so I’m also making a low alcohol beer from the rest of the malts in a second mashing.
Special thanks to my good friend Rob from Australia that gave me these fresh Galaxy hops, I’ll try to save a bottle for you.
Damn I need to find out a better way to filter out all the hops from the kettle before putting the wort in the carboy. Roughly 20% of the wort liquid is just hops (I forgot to take pictures of how I did it this time). The 7’th picture is after whirlpool and filtering, still 10% hops soup on the bottom.
Damned! Someone need to make hydrometers in plastic!
Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt, Carapale, Crystal 100 and lots of Pale Chocolate Malts with Magnum, Super Galena and lots of Amarillo hops. I will split the batch in two and use Safale US04 in one batch and Safbrew T58 in the other. With the same malt bed I will add more water and make a uRination Ale.